By Winfield Townley Scott,Merle Armitage
From "a soiled hand":
Words are very robust. you are not convinced of that? give some thought to everything you will not say.
- Wonderful comment in a notice I had this week from William Carlos Williams. He stated the "disease" of desirous to write poetry; stated he have been "off" poetry for plenty of months and—he said—"I think fresh and unhappy."
- One explanation for protecting this type of laptop: you could wear checklist the retort you could not examine ultimately night's party.
- Photographs of Henry James in his heart years can be commented upon. long gone is the shy aesthete of the younger portrait (by LaFarge?) . This bearded guy has a fierce glance, even a bestial one. here's perhaps-I do not know-James at his such a lot generative. back this guy disappears within the shaven, bald, ultimate James, the recognized James—the Grand Lama.
- I spotted whilst Lindsay (thirteen) learn aloud a passage from a searching ebook the opposite day he reported "genital" as "genteel." i might like to see a literary heritage titled "The Genital Tradition."
- Contrast "business ethics" and the ethics of artwork. no one writes a poem hoping it is going to put on out in 4 or 5 years.
Between 1951 and 1966 the celebrated American poet Winfield Townley Scott stored a sequence of notebooks during which he set down his concepts on poetry, literature, the literary scene, and lifestyles quite often. presently ahead of his premature dying in 1968 he made a variety of the entries he idea have been top and gave it the name "a soiled hand." those perceptive notes, a few tart, a few light, a few boisterous, a few wistful, provide us a awesome perception into the workings of his artistic brain. George P. Elliott has stated of Scott: "In a really reliable method, i believe he was once as rock-bottom American a poet as now we have had considering Frost." The advent is via Scott's pal Merle Armitage, who additionally designed the unique version of this book.
Read or Download a dirty hand: The Literary Notebooks of Winfield Townley Scott PDF
Best asian american literature books
If, as a few recommend, American literature started with Huckleberry Finn, then the humorists of the outdated South definitely helped us to form that literature. Twain himself discovered to put in writing by way of studying the humorists’ paintings, and later writers have been prompted by means of it. This e-book marks the 1st new number of humor from that zone released in fifteen years—and the 1st clean choice of sketches and stories to seem in over 40 years.
De la à Acapulco en passant par Miami jusqu’aux Bahamas, des milliardaires complètement disjonctés et hors l. a. loi se disputent un héritage de $250,000,000 qui va s’avérer être une véritable arnaque de première. Un héros à l. a. limite du détestable entouré de créatures de rêve n'ayant pas vraiment l. a. langue dans leur poche, n'ayant pas froid aux yeux et prêtes à tout pour réussir dans des décors paradisiaques entre ciel bleu, chaleur et volupté.
Conversations with William Maxwell collects thirty-eight interviews, public speeches, and comments that span 5 a long time of the esteemed novelist and New Yorker editor's occupation. The interviews jointly deal with everything of Maxwell's literary work--with in-depth dialogue of his brief tales, essays, and novels together with They got here Like Swallows, The Folded Leaf, and the yank e-book award-winning see you later, See You Tomorrow--as good as his forty-year tenure as a fiction editor operating with such luminaries as John Updike, John Cheever, Eudora Welty, Vladimir Nabokov, and J.
A glance at Malcolm X's existence and instances from his Pulitzer Prize–winning biographer, Manning MarableManning Marable's Pulitzer Prize–winning biography, Malcolm X: a lifetime of Reinvention, has reshaped perceptions of 1 of America's nice progressive thinkers. This quantity, the 1st number of significant records addressing Malcolm X in a long time, positive factors never-before-published fabric, together with articles from significant newspapers and underground presses, oral histories, police experiences, and FBI documents, to polish a brighter mild on Malcolm's existence and occasions.
- These Are The Breaks
- African Americans in Covington (Images of America)
- African American St. Louis (Images of Modern America)
- "The Awakening" by Kate Chopin - Edna Pontellier, a woman fated to die
- Die Doppelgängergeschichten "The Tell-Tale Heart" und "William Wilson" von Edgar Allan Poe: Eine kurze Darstellung (German Edition)
Extra info for a dirty hand: The Literary Notebooks of Winfield Townley Scott